Menu Close

Alleged Irregularities: Nigerian Government suspends N-Power indefinitely, begins probe

*Betta Edu, Minister for Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, Saturday, October 7 discloses the Federal Government has also begun an investigation into the utilisation of allotted funds since the inception of the programme across the country

Isola Moses | ConsumerConnect

The Federal Government has suspended N-Power programme indefinitely over some purported irregularities within the scheme.

Betta Edu, Honourable Minister for Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, announced the indefinite suspension of the programme while featuring in an interview on TVC News Saturday, October 7, 2023.

Edu attributed the government’s decision on N-Power to some irregularities within the scheme.

ConsumerConnect reports former President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration established the N-Power programme basically, to address the burning issue of youth unemployment and help to advance social development in Nigeria.

Following the decision to suspend the programme, the Minister equally said that the Federal Government had launched investigation into the utilisation of funds since the inception of the programme.

Some of the beneficiaries are not found in their places of assignments yet they expect monthly stipends, Edu alleged.

She further said that some of the beneficiaries ought to have exited the programme since 2022, but are still on the payroll till this day.

The Minister asserted: “We must go back to look into N-Power and understand what the problems are, so we will basically, suspend the programme for now until we are done with proper investigation into the utilisation of fund into the N-Power programme.

“We want to know how many persons are basically on the programme right now, how many persons are owed, amount they are owed.”

Government committed to restructuring and expanding N-Power, says Edu

The Minister stated: “We are totally restructuring the N-Power and expanding it.

“There are lots going on. We met people who are supposed to have exited the programme since last year, and they are still on, claiming that they are still teaching.

“Sometimes we contact the schools or the places where they are working and they are not there.”

She further said though such individuals “are not working, yet they keep claiming that they are being owed eight or nine months stipends.

“About 80 percent of them are not working, yet they are claiming salaries.”

Kindly Share This Story

 

 

Kindly share this story