Production of alcoholic drinks in sachets to stop 2023, says NAFDAC

*Alcohol drinks in sachet would be phased out by 2023 ending, or first week of 2024, when it would no longer exist in the society: Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye, Director-General of NAFDAC

*Alcohol consumption contributes to 3 million deaths each year globally besides disabilities and poor health of millions of people ─WHO

Alexander Davis | ConsumerConnect

Subsequent to the negative effects of irresponsible alcohol consumption on public health as well as safety and security of Nigerians, the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) says it will totally ban production and sale of alcohol drinks in sachets by 2023─2024 in Nigeria.

Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye, Director-General of NAFDAC, who disclosed Wednesday, September 30, said that banning of the product would come in phases, according to agency report.

Adeyeye said that alcohol drinks in sachet would be phased out by 2023 ending, or first week of 2024, when it would no longer exist in the society.

Recently, the regulatory agency expressed worry over the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages in sachets and small volume glass and Poly-Ethylene Terephthalate (PET) bottles in the country.

The NAFDAC Director-General decried the adverse effects of irresponsible alcohol consumption on public health, safety and the security of the people.

The concern also relates to the fact that alcohol “is also a toxic and psychoactive substance with dependence producing properties.”

Uncontrolled access and availability of high concentration alcohol in sachet and small volume PET or glass bottles have been put forward as a factor contributing to substance and alcohol abuse in Nigeria with its negative impact on the society, said Adeyeye.

According to her, the World Health Organisation (WHO) reports that alcohol consumption contributes to three million deaths each year globally as well as to the disabilities and poor health of millions of people.

The NAFDAC Chief stated that the stakeholders had already met on this to outline the negative impact of the product on the society, particularly on youths.

She said: “NAFDAC and the Federal Ministry of Heath met on this issue with the distillers association, a couple of days ago.

“We let them know that they can think of business because there is nothing wrong about that.

“NAFDAC and Federal Ministry of Heath also have to think about the society, we had series of meetings at the ministry.

“We all agreed that we are going to carry out the ban in phases.”

Pending the time lapse, she stated, the distillers associations were told to reduce the level of alcohol drink in sachets, and that they have agreed to do that.

Adeyeye added that the distillers association had also been tasked to run a social responsibility campaign against underage drinking, adding that a jingle would soon be on air.

Kindly Share This Story