Menu Close

Nobel Laureate Soyinka speaks on US visa revocation ‘without explanation’

Photo Collage of Nobel Laureate Prof. Wole Soyinka and US Flag Cum Visa

*Nobel Laureate Prof. Wole Soyinka avers ‘I am still looking into my past history…. I don’t have any past criminal record, or even a felony or misdemeanor to qualify for the (visa) revocation’ by the United States Consulate in Nigeria

Isola Moses | ConsumerConnect

Nobel Laureate Prof. Wole Soyinka Tuesday, October 28, 2025, said his proposed entry into the United States (US) had become impossible, following a visa revocation by the American country’s consulate in Nigeria.

The letter dated October 23, 2025, and issued by the Non-Immigrant Visa (“NIV”) Section of the US Consulate, in Lagos, noted that his previously held Non-Immigrant Visa has been revoked in accordance with US Department of State regulations.

Illegal Drug Parties: NDLEA scapegoats Proxy Club with forfeiture of property, warns Nigerian youths

Soyinka, who affirmed this development at a media briefing at Kongi’s Harvest Gallery, Freedom Park, on Lagos Island, Tuesday said he was truly notified by the Consulate, but that he is still unaware of any act on his part that would justify such an action.

The Nobel Laureate also stated: “I have no visa; I am banned, obviously, from the United States. And if you want to see me, you know where to find me.”

In the letter shown to news reporters, the revocation was effected pursuant to regulatory authority, but no specific reason was cited in this regard.

According to Soyinka, he has no criminal record, felony or misdemeanour, stating that he is “still looking into my past history… I don’t have any past criminal record or even a felony or misdemeanor to qualify for the revocation.”

He equally explained that his decision to hold the media briefing was for individuals in the United States, who would be expecting his participation in certain events to not expend time or resources in vain after all.

He further said: “It is necessary for me to hold this conference, so that people in the United States who are expecting me for this event or that event do not waste their time.”

Soyinka’s visa was classified under the B1/B2 category (temporary non-immigrant visa for business or tourism).

It is recalled that Prof. Soyinka, September 2025, had openly declined an invitation by the US Consulate in Nigeria to attend a visa “re-interview”, scheduled for September 11 this year.

He rather described such a letter from the US Consulate as bizarre, and disclosed that he initially, mistook it for a scam.

Sources showed he described the process as one but he had “more important things to attend to than chase visas for places where I am not wanted.”

Expressing surprise at the visa revocation letter with no prior indication or explanation, Soyinka said: “I’m still looking into my past history…. I don’t have any past criminal record or even a felony or misdemeanour to qualify for the revocation.”

Kindly Share This Story

 

Kindly share this story