Mr. Babatunde Fashola, Honourable Minister for Works and Housing

Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, 2nd Niger Bridge for completion 2022 ─Minister

Emmanuel Akosile | ConsumerConnect

The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway is to be completed in the first quarter of year 2022.

Mr. Babatunde Fashola, Nigeria’s Honourable Minister for Works and Housing, stated this on a television programme Thursday, June 4, 2020.

Fashola said the delay in completing the project as previously scheduled was due to the outbreak of Coronavirus pandemic, and said it slowed construction activities and affected the government revenue, Channels TV report stated.

Report stated that the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway is part of projects funded under the Presidential Infrastructure Development Fund.

Lagos-Ibadan Expressway

The road project, awarded to Julius Berger Nigeria and Reynolds Construction Company Limited (RCC), at a sum of N167 billion, was earlier scheduled for completion 2021.

Other projects under the fund include the Second Niger Bridge and the Abuja-Kaduna-Kano Highway

Fashola Thursday confirmed all three projects are expected to be delivered in the first quarter of 2022.

He said: “As I speak to you now, we have lost essentially the prime of our working period which is the dry season in the COVID period. We have to regain and recover all of that.

A section of ongoing construction of the 2nd Niger Bridge project in South-East Nigeria

“We have also lost some of our expected revenue plans. At the time COVID hit Nigeria, we were doing 2.59 percent growth rate.

“Now we are heading for a recession globally and Nigeria will not be insulated from that. We are working on plans to bring the economy back on track.”

While work was suspended during the Coronavirus lockdown, the Minister stated that earnest efforts were made to resume the project once the Federal Government started to lift restrictions.

He disclosed that some 11 contractors executing 53 projects in 26 states were “remobilised back to site in the first week of the easing of the lockdown.”

“We had to work with the Governor to allow men and materials to move. We also had to develop new safety guidelines for the construction,” he noted.

Kindly Share This Story