NLC suspends proposed national protest over fuel subsidy removal: Official

*The Nigeria Labour Congress insists it is sensitising Nigerians to understand the ‘idea of fuel subsidy is a hoax,’ which the authorities are using to inflict pains on consumers

Alexander Davis | ConsumerConnect

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has announced suspension of the Labour union’s planned nationwide protest in the country previously slated for Thursday, January 27, 2022.

ConsumerConnect gathered the NLC leadership earlier Tuesday, January 25 had vowed to continue with its planned nationwide rally Thursday in spite of the Federal Government’s pronouncement that it had not decided on the burning issue, and would no longer remove the fuel subsidy for now.

Joe Ajaero, Deputy President of NLC, during an interview on Channels TV breakfast programme Tuesday monitored in Lagos, explained though the rally is aimed at sensitising Nigerian consumers.

Ajaero said: “NLC is still standing on its position. The Federal Government didn’t say they have abolished it; they are postponing the evil day.

“What we are doing is sensitisation of Nigerians on this fuel subsidy removal or so-called increase in the pump price of petroleum products.”

The labour leader noted that fuel subsidy removal would only inflict more sufferings on Nigerians.

He also stated: “The NLC is sensitising Nigerians that this is not sustainable; that the idea of fuel subsidy is a hoax which they are using to inflict pains on Nigerians,” he said.

The Federal Government had earlier announced the suspension of the planned removal of fuel subsidy.

Recall Mrs. Zainab Ahmed, Honourable Minister for Finance, Budget and National Planning, Monday said the Federal Government had suspended the plan to remove fuel subsidy.

The Minister also disclosed that the government is exploring additional provisions to cushion the likely effects of fuel subsidy removal beyond the June deadline in the 2022 Budget.

Kindly Share This Story