Menu Close

Manufacturer recalls 3,900 bottles of aromatherapy room spray over 2 related deaths (Full List)

Walmart Aromatherapy Spray Photo: Everyday Health

*The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says a bottle of the Walmart product contained a rare and dangerous bacteria called ‘Burkholderia pseudomallei’ could be fatal to consumers exposed to it

*Company pledges to give consumers a $20 gift card after they have returned the affected product its store

Isola Moses | ConsumerConnect

Walmart has issued a recall for around 3,900 bottles of an aromatherapy product as it  may contain bacteria that is potentially lethal to consumers who are exposed to it.

ConsumerConnect gathered the firm recalled the affected product called ‘the Better Homes and Gardens Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones’, after tests conducted by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) indicated that a bottle contained a rare and dangerous bacteria called ‘Burkholderia pseudomallei’.

Agency report stated the bacteria can cause a sometimes fatal condition called melioidosis, which is characterised by cough, chest pain, high fever, headache, muscle soreness and weight loss in consumers.

The US health regulatory agency is currently investigating a cluster of four confirmed cases of the condition that has already resulted in two deaths in the United States.

The CDC officials said a bottle of the aromatherapy room spray that contained the bacteria was found in the house of one of the deceased consumers, but the agency has not yet confirmed that it was the cause of death.

It was learnt the product was sold at 55 Walmart stores across the US and online at Walmart.com from February to October 2021, for about $4.00.

In connection with what to do, the CDC is urging consumers who bought bottles of the  recalled product to stop using them immediately, and keep them closed to contain any harmful bacteria.

The product should not be thrown away, but an affected consumer should double-bag the bottle in a clean, clear zip-top resealable bag, place it in a small cardboard box, and return it to a Walmart store in the country, said the CDC.

The company said it would give consumers a $20 gift card after they have returned the product.

Consumers who owned the product, therefore, are advised to wash any sheets and linens that the product may have been sprayed on with normal laundry detergent and to completely dry it in a hot dryer.

Bleach may be used if consumers want to take that extra step, report said.

Besides, affected consumers should also wipe down any counters or surfaces that might have been exposed to the spray with an undiluted disinfectant cleaner while wearing gloves.

The CDC also directed consumers to ensure they thoroughly wash their hands after handling any contaminated objects or cleaning any exposed surfaces after removing the gloves.

Consumers are encouraged to access the full list of affected products and their batch numbers HERE.

Kindly Share This Story

 

Kindly share this story