World’s largest meat processors survive cyberattack at plants, resume operations

*JBS firm has said a number of its pork, poultry, and prepared foods plants were operational Tuesday and its Canada beef facility resumed production at the plants

Isola Moses | ConsumerConnect

Having shut down operations following a weekend malware attack, JBS, the world’s largest meat processor and its United States (US) subsidiary Pilgrim’s resumed operations Wednesday, June 2 at most plants after a weekend cyberattack.

The company Sunday had announced it had been the victim of hackers who seized the firms’ computer networks in North America and Australia respectively.

Workers resume meat processing in JBS plants   Photo: SmartCompany

ConsumerConnect gathered the industry analysts warned of supply chain issues and shortages in the US, if the shutdown had lasted a week or more.

Andre Nogueira, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of JBS USA, said he expects the “vast majority” of the company’s processing plants to be back in operation within 24 hours after all US beef processing facilities were idled both on Monday and most of Tuesday.

Nogueira stated: “Our systems are coming back online and we are not sparing any resources to fight this threat.

“We have cybersecurity plans in place to address these types of issues and we are successfully executing those plans.”

Supplies are flowing again, report stated. As the conglomerate resumed operations after the cyberattack, said it and its subsidiary companies were able to ship products from nearly all of its facilities to supply consumers Tuesday.

The firm also reported continued progress in resuming plant operations in the US and Australia, where operations were also disrupted during the cyberattack.

JBS noted that a number of its pork, poultry, and prepared foods plants were operational Tuesday and its Canada beef facility resumed production.

The company said it received strong support from the US, Australian, and Canadian governments.

“I want to personally thank the White House, the US Federal Bureau of Investigation, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and the Australian and Canadian governments for their assistance over the last two days,” Nogueira said

It as well noted that with the resumption of operations, there should be no glitches in the supply chain and consumers should continue to see normal supplies of product at grocery stores in the affected countries.

Nonetheless, JBS said that it was not aware of any evidence at this time that any customer, supplier, or employee data was compromised in the hack.

Kindly Share This Story