*Iran warns the United States to ‘be careful’ after US President Donald Trump reportedly threatens to strike the Islamic country over its support for Hezbollah in the Middle East
Isola Moses | ConsumerConnect
The recent truce to halt hostilities in region may collapse soon as Iran Sunday, June 21, 2026, warned the United States (US) to “be careful” after President Donald Trump again, threatened to strike the Islamic country over its support for Hezbollah.
ConsumerConnect reports both the United States and Iran recently held talks in Switzerland, seeking a deal to permanently end the Middle East war.
NCC, CAC mandate regulatory approval for key changes in Telecoms firms’ ownership structure
The negotiations to end a war that sowed chaos across the Middle East and rattled the global economy since February 28 this year.
The latest peace accord is reportedly meant to trigger a 60-day period to settle broader issues that have dogged US-Iranian relations for decades.
But disagreement over key sticking points and the threat of renewed fighting in Lebanon weighed on the talks, with Washington and Tehran exchanging threats in parallel with the negotiations, AFP report also said.
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, Iran’s Chief Negotiator, said: “They would do better to be careful with their statements; our armed forces are ready to respond to them in a different manner.
“No matter what they say, we are the ones who act.”
US President Trump has threatened to strike Iran if it did not “immediately stop their highly paid PROXIES in Lebanon from causing trouble.”
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu meanwhile reiterated that troops would remain in south Lebanon “as long as necessary.”
Report also indicated Netanyahu restated that he would “not allow Iran to acquire nuclear weapons.”
Iran’s state broadcaster, however, said the nuclear programme had not been discussed as of Sunday.
The broadcaster said: “No negotiations regarding Iran’s nuclear programme took place during the 80-minute first round of talks.”
He added that it was not clear whether the talks would continue or be suspended.
It said the focus had been on the implementation of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Tehran and Washington, and the situation in Lebanon, adding that the Iranian delegation refused to begin the meeting until journalists left the room.
US Vice-President JD Vance had earlier expressed hope of turning over a “new leaf” during the talks.
Flanked by US negotiators Jared Kushner and Steve Witkoff in the luxury Swiss resort Burgenstock, Vance hailed “a historic meeting”.
“The question before us now is how much more can we accomplish together?
“Can we turn over a new leaf? Can we change relations in the Middle East permanently?
“Or do we go back to doing things the old way, which is not our preference, but it’s certainly very much something that can happen.”
Sticking points
The talks to end the months-long conflict are taking place against the backdrop of Iran closing the critical and strategic Strait of Hormuz again, in response to recent Israeli attacks on Lebanon.
Foreign Ministry Spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei wrote on X: “It is not possible to enter the negotiation phase for a final agreement” unless there is an end to the war in Lebanon.
It should be noted that Washington and Tehran’s Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed this week included a provision to end fighting in Lebanon between Israel and Hezbollah.
However, there have been repeated clashes in Lebanon since, which prompted Iran to say it would again shutter the crucial oil and gas trade route, having opened it as part of the deal.
Speaking on Sunday, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said Tehran would not relinquish its right to enrich uranium, though he repeated Iran’s denial that it wants nuclear weapons.
Pezeshkian stated on the government official Web site: “We can also state in writing that we have no intention of building a bomb.”
Baqaei, meanwhile, said the unfreezing of Iranian assets and “issuing the necessary licences for the sale of Iranian oil will also be on the agenda”.
Lebanon fighting
The fighting between Israel and Hezbollah, sparked by the Tehran-backed militant group attacking Israel in support of Iran in the wider war, has repeatedly threatened to derail peace efforts.
On Friday, planned US-Iranian talks were postponed after Israel launched deadly strikes in Lebanon, following the deaths of four of its soldiers in combat there.m, agency report said.
Israel’s military chief visited troops in south Lebanon on Sunday, where he said Hezbollah was in a “very difficult position”.
“Hezbollah has suffered a severe and significant blow, and we are committed to remaining prepared to continue operating and prevent its rebuilding,” Lieutenant General Eyal Zamir said, according to a military statement.
The overall death toll from the fighting in Lebanon has now surpassed 4,100, the Health Ministry said.
