Menu Close

International Travels: No more passport stamps upon EU entry/exit –Official

Photo: Seven Corners

*The EU Commission for Migration and Home Affairs discloses the new ‘Entry/Exit System’ will replace the current system of manual stamping of passports described as ‘time-consuming’ with unreliable data for border crossings and systematic detection of over-stayers

Isola Moses | ConsumerConnect

Passport holders from countries of the former Yugoslavia that are not part of the European Union (EU) will no longer have their travel document stamped at the airport upon entering or leaving member states of the block that are part of the Schengen Area.

It was gathered the scheme is known as the Entry/Exit System (EES), and the information on the entry and exit to the EU would be automatically recorded through a new automated system.

The new system is linked to the upcoming European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS), which is expected to be implemented  November 2023, reports EX-YU Aviation News.

The EU Commission for Migration and Home Affairs was quoted to have said: “EES will replace the current system of manual stamping of passports, which is time-consuming, does not provide reliable data on border crossings and does not allow a systematic detection of over-stayers.”

According to Commission, the system will record specific data on travellers, including their names, fingerprints, facial images, travel document type, dates and places of entry, date, and places of exit, as well as their stay periods in the Schengen Area.

On Schengen Visa information

ConsumerConnect reports Schengen refers to the EU passport-free zone that covers most European countries of the world.

It’s the largest free travel area in the world.

A Schengen visa is a short-stay visa that allows a person to travel to any member of the Schengen Area, per stay up to 90 days for tourism or business purposes, according to

The Schengen visa is the most common visa for Europe.

It enables its holder to enter, freely travel within, and leave the Schengen zone from any of the Schengen member countries.

There are no border controls within the Schengen Zone.

However, if you are planning to study, work, or live in one of the Schengen countries for more than 90 days, then you must apply for a national visa of that European country and not a Schengen Visa.

Kindly Share This Story



Kindly share this story